Sunday 15 April 2012

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Wouldn't you know it, we get a weekend with lots of south winds and I am stuck in a classroom attending a course all day Saturday and Sunday.  Well, I managed to finish early today and headed straight for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher that was reported yesterday by Terry Sprague, near Demorestville.

When I arrived I was told by the friendly lady who owns the property the bird was south across the field by the small lake and I was welcome to walk across!  After walking across the field I quickly saw the bird - beauty! Also got my first of the year Swamp Sparrow here, bonus!  Here's the full eBird checklist and some photos:





I am pretty sure this is an adult (definitive alternate) male.  Definitely a male by the bright red underwing and the large notch on the outer primary (P10).

1 comment:

  1. wow! That's one crazy looking bird... And your photos are really sweet

    ReplyDelete